Call for projects
Every year the Walloon government launches a call for projects for the competitiveness clusters. The R&D unit of BioWin plays a key role in the emergence of new projects in close collaboration with the Walloon administration and university networks. It performs the following activities:
Projects taken on by BioWin are then assessed by the Walloon Government Jury after the eligibility of the proposals has been checked by the administration.
After selection by the Walloon Government, the R&D unit also provides support in drawing up the consortium agreement and the finance agreement. During the life of the project, it ensures constructive progress in close collaboration with the consortia and the administration in order to guarantee that the project runs smoothly and achieves its aims.
To be eligible, projects must meet the following essential criteria:
- Organisation of the calls for projects.
- Networking/researching partners for the consortia.
- Advising respondents at all stages of the process right up to submitting the projects to the Walloon Region. This advisory service may take the form of individualised advice, or training on specific themes (e.g.: intellectual property, market research, etc.).
- Enabling the assessment and selection of the projects by a skilled International Jury according to well-defined criteria.
Between 2006 and 2012, 9 calls for projects were launched by the Government of Wallonia.
- The consortium must be made up of at least two businesses from the Walloon Region and two institutions from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (university, research centre, higher education establishment)
- The leadership of the project must be taken on by a company.
- The consortium must include at least one company with fewer than 250 employees.
- The projects must be innovative.
- The projects must fit into the categories selected by the BioWin cluster.