BioWin’s vocation is to help its members to become international players. Products and services in the field of healthcare are in fact by their very nature destined for a global market. In order to achieve economic success in the field of healthcare the ability to innovate must therefore be accompanied by the capacity to access international markets. The competitiveness cluster complements the services of AWEX, the Walloon agency for exports and foreign investments, by building bridges between Wallonia and other regions in Europe and the world that are innovating in the field of Healthcare.
Competing globally also means showing the world our capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship. It is the role of the cluster to develop an image of a Wallonia that is innovating in the cutting edge sectors of healthcare biotechnology and medical technologies. In order to attract financial and industrial investors, R&D partners, and first-rate human resources to the region we must capitalise on this culture of innovation which is already supported in large part by the regional public authorities.
The following methods are employed by the cluster in the context of its globalisation strategy:
- Communication and visibility (brochures, publicity campaigns, participating in specialist trade fairs, organising events, media relations, etc.).
- Networking with other Health clusters to introduce BioWin and its members.
- Taking part in European projects, in order to position Wallonia in specific technological fields or to consolidate the cluster’s good practice in supporting innovative SMEs.
- Partnerships within Europe and further afield (collaboration agreements, memorandums of understanding).
- Placing representatives or “ambassadors” from the cluster in regions with good development potential (business and innovation).